The 300 MHz Varian Mercury Plus Spectrometer in Chemistry room 3470 (Annex) is the primary NMR teaching instrument. It is used for Undergraduate and Graduate-level laboratory courses in spectroscopy.
When not used for teaching purposes, the 300 Merc Plus is a popular choice for routine 1D and 2D NMR experiments. The 1H / X Autoswitchable broadband probe is typically configured for 1H and 13C experiments, but it is easily tunable to 31P, and with some effort it can be tuned to other popular nuclei including 29Si and 11B.
- 300 MHz Varian Mercury Plus Spectrometer located in room Chem 3470 (Chem Annex)
- Uses VnmrJ software on a Linux RedHat workstation
- Typically equipped with a 1H / Auto-Switchable broadband probe
Most Common Uses
- Routine 1H and 13C NMR experiments
- Capable of 1D 31P, 11B, 29Si experiments after tuning the probe.
- Capable of most routine 2D NMR experiments (COSY, HSQC, HMBC)