Useful NMR Resources
The NMR Facility staff has compiled a list of very useful NMR-related resources to aid the user in proper data collection, analysis and understanding.
| UC Davis Guides | Bruker | Varian | NMR Education | Practical NMR Help | NMR Software | Suggested Reading | Youtube Videos |
If you are aware of other useful NMR resources and would like them to be shared, please contact the UCD NMR Facility staff and we will gladly add them to our site!
UC Davis Quick Start/User's Guides
- UC Daivs Bruker Topspin 3.2 User's Guide
- UC Davis Bruker Topspin 1.3 Brief Guide
- UC Davis Bruker IconNMR User Guide for Chem Users
Bruker / Topspin User's Guides
- Bruker User's Guide: Basic 1D and 2D NMR Experiments
- Bruker User's Guide: Advanced 1D and 2D NMR Experiments
- Bruker User's Guide: 3D Triple Resonance Experiments
- Bruker DOSY / Diffusion NMR Experiments Guide
- Bruker Topspin Acquisition Commands and Parameters
- Bruker Topspin Processing Commands and References
- Bruker Topshim Gradient Autoshimming User's Guide
- Bruker Avance Solid-State NMR User's Guide
- Bruker Topspin 3.x User's Manual
- Bruker Topspin 1.3 User's Manual
- SampleJet Automatic Sample Changer User's Guide
- ICON NMR Automation User's Guide
- Bruker NMR Guide
Varian / VnmrJ User's Guides
- Varian VnmrJ User's Guide
- Varian VnmrJ Quick Start Guide
- Basic VnmrJ Commands and Parameters
- List of VnmrJ Commands, Broken into Categories
- Varian VnmrJ DOSY / Diffusion Experiment Guide
- Varian VnmrJ Liquids NMR User's Guide
- Varian VnmrJ COSY Guide
- Varian VnmrJ Guide to Using Arrays
- Varian VnmrJ Guide to the Versatile s2pul Pulse Sequence
- Varian VnmrJ Guide to 2D Data Processing
Educational Magnetic Resonance Resources
- Modern NMR Methodology - Textbook.
- http://www.cis.rit.edu/htbooks/nmr/nmr-main.htm. Basics of NMR, online interactive textbook by Joseph P. Hornak, PhD
- http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/NMRSignalProcessingLabTwoSpins12/. Interactive demonstration for NMR signal acquisition and data processing.
- http://www-keeler.ch.cam.ac.uk/lectures/Irvine/. Lecture notes from James Keeler, author of the excellent NMR textbook Understanding NMR Spectroscopy
- http://u-of-o-nmr-facility.blogspot.com/ NMR Blog from the University of Ottawa.
- http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic_Chemistry/Spectroscopy/Nuclear_Magnetic_Resonance_Spectroscopy.UC Davis Chemwiki on NMR. Emphasis on use for organic chemistry
- http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/Spectrpy/nmr/nmr1.htm Animated brief introduction to NMR.
Practical NMR Resources
- NMR solvent chart from Cambridge Isotopes
- http://www.bruker-nmr.de/guide/eNMR/chem/NMRnuclei.html NMR Periodic Table
- http://www.pascal-man.com/ Good resource for papers and links on solid state and quadrupolar NMR
- http://www.nmrdb.org/new_predictor/. Online resource for predicting standard 1D and 2D NMR spectra
- http://www.chenomx.com - this is Chenomx web-site where you can download free evaluation version of Chenomx NMR Suite, find User Guide, library of compounds and other useful information.
- http://www.chemspider.com/. Good resource for information on organic compounds. Often times there are either simulated or user-submitted NMR spectra available.
http://sdbs.db.aist.go.jp/sdbs/cgi-bin/cre_index.cgi?lang=eng Spectral Database of Organic Compounds
- http://www.chem.wisc.edu/areas/reich/chem605/index.htm. very useful website for a course in structure determination using NMR. Included are chemical shift ranges, J-coupling values, relaxation and NOE discussions, and much more. University of Wisconsin-Madison
- http://matematicas.udea.edu.co/~carlopez/practical_guide_nmr_1994_2002.pdf. Guide for multiplet analysis of 1H NMR spectroscopy
- Shimming Ain't Magic - Practical guide for how to shim an NMR spectrometer by hand.
- http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/nmr/. Excellent NMR resource that includes information on both common and rare NMR nuclei, liquid-state and solid-state NMR information, multi-dimensional NMR techniques, NMR relaxation, and much more.
- http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/PPS2/projects/schirra/html/home.htm Introduction to structure determination of proteins using NMR.
- http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/. Biological Magnetic Resonance Data Bank. View and submit NMR spectroscopic data for biological macromolecules and metabolites.
- http://www.protein-nmr.org.uk/. A practical guide to protein NMR - Assignment strategies, software links, general NMR information
- http://www.nmr2.buffalo.edu/resources/edu/matr/nmr2_2004.pdf - brief introduction to NMR Spectroscopy of Proteins
- http://www.theresonance.com/ General NMR news, recent research highlights, video webinars. Powered by Bruker.
- http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/facilities/nmr/NMR_Artifacts.html List of common NMR artifacts and problems, and troubleshooting suggestions
- http://mestrelab.com/ Mestranova Data Processing Software. UC Davis has a site license for Mestranova version 11. You can find the NMR License file here. Scroll down to access. The license will work on the UC Davis Campus. Installation instructions are at https://resources.mestrelab.com/licenses-and-updates/.
- https://store.bruker-biospin.com/shop/US/product/H9966P3/ Bruker Topspin Processing License is now free for students. You will have to provide Bruker with your host computer ID information (see instructions on website)
- http://nmr.cemhti.cnrs-orleans.fr/Default.aspx DMFIT is a free NMR fitting software ideal for peak fitting and solid-state NMR data analysis. Common uses are NMR peak deconvolution, and fitting static and MAS CSA patterns.
- http://www.chemie.uni-hamburg.de/nmr/insensitive/ Insensitive is an educational NMR simulation software designed to teach the physics behind nuclear magnetic resonance. Simulation features include vector model visualization, density matrix formalism and product operator approaches. A paper on this software was published in Concepts in Magnetic Resonance: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cmr.a.20203/abstract
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touch-nmr/id564986048?mt=8 Touch NMR - iPad app for basic 1D and 2D NMR data processing
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spindrops/id891357240?mt=8 SpinDrops - iTunes app designed to help NMR spectroscopists understand magnetic resonance experiments and concepts
- https://kpwu.wordpress.com/links-for-nmr-software/ Additional list and links to NMR-related software
Suggested Reading: Magnetic Resonance Journals and Textbooks
- http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291097-458Xa Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry
- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10907807 Journal of Magnetic Resonance
- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/bookseries/00664103 Annual Reports on NMR Spectroscopy
- http://link.springer.com/journal/723 Applied Magnetic Resonance
- http://www.journals.elsevier.com/solid-state-nuclear-magnetic-resonance Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
- http://www.journals.elsevier.com/progress-in-nuclear-magnetic-resonance-spectroscopy Progress in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
- http://www.journals.elsevier.com/magnetic-resonance-imaging/ Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- http://link.springer.com/journal/10858 Journal of Biomolecular NMR
- http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291552-5023/issues Concepts in Magnetic Resonance
- http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1492;jsessionid=C932AFDFFB7537847EC21CBE624CB643.f01t01 NMR in Biomedicine
- http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-NMR-Spectroscopy-Second-Edition/dp/0470746084 Understanding NMR Spectroscopy - James Keeler
- http://www.amazon.com/Basic-One-Two-Dimensional-NMR-Spectroscopy/dp/3527327827 Basic One and Two Dimensional NMR Spectroscopy Experiments - Horst Friebolin
- http://www.amazon.com/Protein-NMR-Spectroscopy-Second-Edition/dp/012164491X Protein NMR Spectroscopy - John Cavanagh
- http://www.amazon.com/Spin-Dynamics-Nuclear-Magnetic-Resonance/dp/0470511176 Spin Dynamics - Malcolm Levitt
- http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Practical-NMR-Organic-Chemistry/dp/0470710926 Essential Practical NMR for Organic Chemistry
- http://www.amazon.com/Multidimensional-Solid-State-Polymers-Anthropology-Culture/dp/0126266301 Multidimensional Solid-State NMR and Polymers - Klaus Schmidt-Rohr
- http://www.amazon.com/Experimental-Pulse-NMR-Bolts-Approach/dp/0201627264 Experimental Pulse NMR: A Nuts and Bolts Approach - Fukuchima, Roeder
- http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Magnetic-Resonance-Imaging-Nishimura/dp/B0006S4BE2 Principles of Magnetic Resonance Imaging - Nishimura
- http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Chemistry-Research-Tetrahedron-Organic/dp/0080325130 Modern NMR Techniques for Chemistry Research - Andrew Derome
Videos on NMR
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1D790E241B661706 This is a playlist of videos on Youtube where the original authors of landmark NMR papers published in the Journal of Magnetic Resonance (JMR) discuss their contributions. Highlights include Richard Ernst, Robert Griffin, and Malcolm Levitt
- https://www.youtube.com/user/ANZMAG/videos This collection of videos posted by ANZMAG include 14 lectures presented by James Keeler, covering many of the chapters from his excellent textbook titled Understanding of NMR Spectroscopy.
- http://youtu.be/vRHfYWg9GXM?list=PLAF6H-GFZlAjeWW1BEbmKpOElI4kevMUW Lectures from a graduate-level course in Organic Spectroscopy at UC Irvine, taught by Professor James Nowick.
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0AAFCDFCE8FDE07 This playlist of videos on Youtube posted by chemtubeuk includes both introductory and advanced concepts in nuclear magnetic resonance, including a brief introduction to NMR, and how to interpret HSQC data.
- https://www.enc-conference.org/Resources/TutorialAwardLectures/tabid/104/Default.aspx. ENC (Experimental NMR Conference) archive of tutorial and Günther Laukien Prize lectures.